Pet First Aid Certificate
Learning pet first aid is all part of being a responsible pet owner, and this short course will give you good all-round pet first aid skills in six manageable modules. This course, which leads to a Pet First Aid certificate, is also a smart investment for anyone who works with pets regularly, from dog walkers to those providing holiday care for cherished pets.
What Will I Learn?
On completion of this course you’ll have a varied skillset in pet first aid, from basic CPR, to how to treat burns, to spotting the signs of dehydration. You’ll also understand more about anatomy, how to examine pets at home and the importance of proper veterinary care.
Why Should I Invest?
All of us love our pets, but we may not have given much thought to what we would do in an emergency situation. On the spot care can be the difference between a good and bad outcome, so it’s vital that you’re able to administer emergency first aid before your pet is seen by a vet. Good prevention and home care can also stop minor ailments and issues from developing into something more serious. If you love your family pet, this course is an essential investment for their well-being and your peace of mind.
Key Learning Points
Work through the six manageable modules and learn what to do in an emergency situation and how to help the pet until they get the veterinary care they need.
- Follow an introduction into the importance of veterinary services and why pets deserve our best care.
- Learn about the anatomy of a dog.
- Understand how to carry out a home examination of ears, nose, mouth, abdomen, feet, nails and tail.
- Look at the different causes of limping.
- Learn how to check your pet for vital signs, including temperature, heartbeat and respiration rate.
- Discover the signs, causes and home treatment for dehydration.
- Learn how to treat external and internal wounds and stop bleeding.
- Understand the causes and types of burns, and the different ways to treat them.
- Learn how to administer first aid in a choking situation, including the Heimlich Manoeuvre on pets.
- Look at the symptoms, causes and treatment for shock.
- Gain an understanding of artificial respiration and basic CPR for large and small pets.
- Learn how to approach and communicate with an injured pet, including physical restraint, tools and techniques, and how to lift an injured dog.
- Understand the dangers of the environment and food allergies.
- Discover how to spot the signs and treat hypothermia and frostbite.
- Look at the preventative and first aid care relevant to drowning or near drowning.
- Get a better understanding of infection and abscesses.
- Educate yourself on the household hazards that are dangerous to pets.
- Look at poisoning and home treatment.
- Understand the best home care for vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Learn about nose bleeds and pet trauma.
Advantages of the Course
- 12 months access to the course material means you can refresh your knowledge at any time.
- Course delivered entirely online for your convenience and is compatible with all major devices and browsers.
- Begin the course immediately after payment is received.
- Boost your confidence as a pet owner, or someone who cares for animals regularly.
- Gain pet first aid skills that could be the difference between life or death in an emergency.
Give yourself the peace of mind every responsible pet owner needs with this course in Pet First Aid.
This course is CPD certified.
- Why pets are special and why they deserve our best care
- Importance of veterinary services
- General information on pet health
- Registering with a vet and making visits to the vet clinic
- Anatomy of a dog
- Home examination tips for pets; early detection
- Examination of ears, nose, mouth, abdomen, feet, nails and tail
- Different causes of limping
- Checking your pet for vital signs
- How to check for temperature, heartbeat and respiration rate
- Signs, causes and home treatment for dehydration
- How to treat external and internal wounds and stop bleeding
- Causes and types of burns and different ways to treat burns
- First aid in case of choking, including the Heimlich Manoeuvre
- Symptoms, causes and first aid treatment for shock
- Artificial respiration and Basic CPR for large and small pets
- Approaching an injured pet, communication
- Physical restraint, tools and techniques
- Muzzles, leashes and collars, how to lift an injured dog
- Environmental and food allergies
- Treating hypothermia
- Signs, symptoms and treatment of frostbite
- First aid and preventative care for drowning and near drowning
- Infection and abscesses
- Household hazards that may prove dangerous to pets
- Poisoning and home treatment
- Home care for vomiting and diarrhoea
- Nose bleeds and chest trauma
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above